Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Sad Story

A few days ago I saw a lizard in our backyard. I'd never seen one in our yard and got Josh to catch it. We put it in a big jar to show the kids. They fell in love with it and named it Lizzy. I was really surprised at how much they loved this lizard. I thought that we'd keep it a few hours until the kids got board but they never did. They kept going outside to hunt for bugs for it to eat. The lizard really liked to bite Katie (I guess it's because she's so sweet!). One day while she was petting it, Lizzy bit her finger and Katie pulled her hand away and out came Lizzy too. Katie actually caught it and put it back, Yeah! I really don't want a fast lizard loose in my house!

I felt bad keeping the Lizard in a small jar so I moved it to a big bucket. Yesterday Katie and Joseph came in the house crying and told me that Joseph hit it with a rock (threw, dropped I don't know) and Lizzy was bleeding. I went out to see and could tell that it was a fatal blow. I told the kids that Lizzy would die and they came inside, sat at the back door a cried for about 15 minutes. I tried to distract them and get them to stop cry but I couldn't. They cried off ann about Lizzy the rest of the day. They felt so bad. Joseph kept asking for band-aids and for me to fix Lizzy. Sweet Katie prayed for Lizzy to feel better (even after Josh and the kids buried it). I'm glad that this made them feel so bad and let us teach the kid that living things get hurt.

Joshua has become quite a little talker the last week or so. He says Katie, apple, yes, no, more, banana, mom, dad, all gone, bye, hi, car, and so much more! It's so fun to be able to communicate with him better!! Yeah!!

1 comment:

Jeni said...

Oh my aren't they devastated!